About Akrit Commercial Refrigeration
Family owned and operated since 1955, Akrit Commercial Refrigeration’s third generation is committed to providing superior service, backed by our large in-house inventory of parts and supplies. Our thorough knowledge of each manufacturer’s equipment and our timely service make us your one-stop commercial refrigeration maintenance and repair source in Southeastern Wisconsin.
Our mission is to enhance the professional image and integrity of our industry through exceptional appliance repair service. Delivering the highest level of customer service will always be the driving force behind our business. We strive to exceed our customers expectations and earn their loyalty.
Akrit has been doing appliance and refrigeration work since 1955. Joe and Irene Popp started the business out of their home. The business started as a second job for Joe to help support his growing family while his wife worked full time as a nurse. As the business grew it slowly turned into a full-time job for Joe, and about that time Joe added a second technician and Irene left her job as a nurse to handle the office duties and raise their five children. The business was originally known as Speed Queen Service Center.
Eventually they started doing business as Akrit. Akrit’s first location outside of their home-run business was on Becher Street in West Allis. In the late 70s Joe and Irene bought the office and warehouse in Hales Corners to allow for growth that would allow some of the children to get into the business. Akrit started the commercial refrigeration division in 1980.
Akrit remained in Hales Corner for more than 35 years before moving to our current office in New Berlin back in May 2017. The new 8400 sq. ft location, with office, warehouse and training room, gave us much-needed space for growth and an opportunity to update our systems. Today, our 35 employees, including both second and third generations managing the business and a couple of grandchildren working as technicians, uphold the mission begun in 1955 by Joe and Irene Popp.